From Clay Leeds <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FOP Release Automation
Date Fri, 23 May 2014 03:15:54 GMT
Thank you for looking at this, Robert. I'll take a look at MarkDown solutions as well.

Cheers!
Clay

--

"My religion is simple. My religion is kindness."
- HH The Dalai Lama of Tibet

> On May 21, 2014, at 2:24 AM, Robert Meyer <rmeyer@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I've been asked to look at a way to automate the FOP release process with regards the
website documentation. At the moment every new release requires the following:

> 1) Download the site from SVN
> 2) Copy the folder containing the latest version's markdown files (1.1 for example) and
rename to the new version
> 3) Go through all the files manually and update all the references from the old to the
new version
> 4) Update any markdown files in the main directory with regard to the current and previous
versions.
> 5) Delete the oldest version folder as we need only mantain the last 3.
> 6) Check and resubmit all files back to SVN
>
> My initial thought would to have a master copy in a separate directory. That copy would
contain a tag in place where the version is given which could be substituted by a script of
some kind (ant has a facility to do this). The ant script would also perform all of the above
tasks so the only thing left to the user will be to check the output and push the new files.
The problem I have with this is that SVN is not the only way in which the files can be edited
as there is the web interface. If someone were to edit the files from there, the master copies
would become out of date and worse, if someone were to perform a release it would overwrite
all those changes.

> I've been recommended to look at markdown extensions but if anyone else has any ideas
on the best way to go about this it would be much appreciated.