From Clay Leeds <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Add Type 1 subset support
Date Fri, 16 May 2014 18:34:42 GMT
Thanks for this explanation and the work you’ve done to implement, Robert,

Here’s my +1

On May 16, 2014, at 9:20 AM, Robert Meyer <rmeyer@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Here are some performance statistics for three different types of fonts:
>
> TrueType:
> Full = 1123ms
> Subset = 1137ms
> Difference = 1.2%
>
> OpenType:
> Full = 3497ms
> Subset = 3512ms
> Difference = 0.4%
>
> Type 1:
> Full = 1148ms
> Subset = 1896ms
> Difference = 39%
>
> The reason for this can be easily explained. Type 1 fonts contain Postscript code. OpenType
and TrueType do not as they only contain binary data. This means no special effort by them
has to be made to parse, understand and reconstruct what is effectively another high level
programming language.

> Because of this deficit, it may be best to leave it as an option as per Vincent's suggestion
unless the user wants to create a smaller file and incur the hit. In the meantime I could
investigate in the near future whether any performance improvements could be made to speed
up the process. It's likely though this will never result in it being close to either OTF
or TTF levels of performance.