From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Jira: using issue type field
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:04:59 GMT
Hi Pascal,

On 19/12/2012 17:14, Pascal Sancho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jira comes with
>   - a new field [Type] that didn't exist in Bugzilla, with following entries:
> " Bug", "New feature", "Improvement", "Wish", "Task", and "Test".
>   - the opportunity to create sub-tasks.
>
> I propose the following usage:
>
> "Bug": a bug report, and only that
>
> "New feature" and "Improvement":
>   - contributor patch (rather than add "[patch]" in summary),
>   - committer contribution

Thanks for raising this. Its true Jira has a whole host of extras that
we aren't used to, but in my view, FOP is quite a straight forward
project with simple requirements, so most of the extra features aren't
needed in my view.

Patches exist for bugs as well as enhancements, so to classify a Jira
issue as New feature or improvement when a patch is associated seems
misleading to me, especially when the patch exists to fix a bug.

> "Wish": new feature request
There are too many types that simply mean "Enhancement"; Wish, New
Feature and Improvement could all be rolled into 1 in my view. It's true
they are subtley different, but as committers do we really need to
capture that information?

> "Task": team process (like release).
>
> When a contributor proposes a patch to fix a bug, he should create a
> sub-task (type "Improvement") rather than change the summary and the
> type of the issue.
> So, bug discussion and patch comments will be in separate tasks.

I agree with Glenn on this. It just seems like adding complexity for
complexity sake. Those features are more useful in a commercial
development environment where Managers like to conduct sprint reviews of
tasks and see the work broken down for better estimation and work
sharing. I don't think this applies in open source development as
bugs/improvements are usually tackled by individuals and I suggest that
we lock these features down to prevent the public creating them.

Thanks,

Chris