From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1360665 - in /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk: ./ src/java/org/apache/fop/layoutmgr/ test/java/org/apache/fop/intermediate/ test/java/org/apache/fop/layoutengine/
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 08:12:42 GMT
On 18/07/2012 15:24, Clay Leeds wrote:

Hi Clay,
> OT, but I've made some progress on the CMS. I now have dynamic content working (separate
header and sidenav for FOP, Batik & XGC).

Thanks for the update. That is good news.

Chris

> More relevant comments below...
>
> On Jul 18, 2012, at 5:17 AM, Vincent Hennebert <vhennebert@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Alexios,
>>
>> thanks for you input.
>>
>> On 18/07/12 01:05, Alexios Giotis wrote:
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>
>>> On Jul 17, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>>>
>>> It improves documentation. For example, I frequently execute "svn annotate",
read the usually brief commit message and then refer to the bug for more info (and context
in my case). I don't like the fact that I have to rely to another system, but it helps, especially
for old change sets.
>> Well, the problem is probably not the lack of a BTS here, it’s probably
>> the commit message that shouldn’t be that short. And a longer
>> description should be in status.xml anyway. Also, I find the list of
>> comments that usually appears in Bugzilla entries confusing more than
>> anything else. You have to wander through the comments to understand
>> what is going on.
> Perhaps, if something significant changes, the OP or someone for a bug can update the
description (e. g., w 'UPDATE:') where they pick out the meat of a discussion and stik it
in the Description field.

>> That said, if a bug affects the rendering part of FOP which is not
>> really unit-testable at the moment, the commit is unlikely to contain
>> any test, so it helps to be able to retrieve an example output on
>> Bugzilla. And I suppose that for the sake of consistency, the same
>> should be done for layout bugs.
> I would expect an example attachment of PDFs or Afp, Ps, etc. for layout bugs.
>
>> Also, I’m just remembering that we will at some point switch to the
>> Apache CMS to generate the website and that the status.xml logic may not
>> be ported there. That’s probably the biggest factor that would push me
>> to switch to Bugzilla actually.
> My hope is that the BTS system can output a file for us. I understand that HTML files
can be inserted, unchanged by the CMS. I plan on something like this for Compliance.html.