From mehdi houshmand <med1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Definition of Public API was (Re: svn commit: r1234877 - in /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk: examples/embedding/java/embedding/ examples/embedding/java/embedding/atxml/ src/java/org/apache/fop/cli/ src/java/org/apache/fop/render/ src/java/org/apache/fop/r
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 21:20:56 GMT
Well spotted Alexios, I will add both and double check there is
adequate documentation on usage.

Mehdi

On 27 January 2012 20:50, Alexios Giotis <alex.giotis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest to add 2 more classes to what is considered a public API.
>
> 1. org.apache.fop.render.intermediate.IFException
> This is obvious. Let's add it even though nobody will probably make there any backwards
incompatible change.

> 2. org.apache.fop.render.intermediate.util.IFConcatenator
> It makes no sense including the IFSerializer class and leaving out the class that reads
FOP IF files and creates the final output format.
> This is used at least in embedding.intermediate.ExampleConcat.java
>

> Alexios Giotis
>

> On Jan 27, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Chris Bowditch wrote:
>
>> On 25/01/2012 14:59, mehdi houshmand wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mehdi,
>>> I've spent some time looking through the examples and the
>>> documentation above and I think the classes listed below are all the
>>> classes necessary for most the use-cases and thus should be considered
>>> the public API.
>>>
>>> org.apache.fop.apps.*
>>> org.apache.fop.fo.FOEventHandler
>>> org.apache.fop.fonts.FontManager
>>> org.apache.fop.events.EventListener
>>> org.apache.fop.events.Event
>>> org.apache.fop.events.model.EventSeverity
>>> org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory
>>> org.apache.fop.render.intermediate.IFDocumentHandler
>>> org.apache.fop.render.intermediate.IFParser
>>> org.apache.fop.render.intermediate.IFUtil
>>> org.apache.fop.render.intermediate.IFSerializer
>>> org.apache.fop.render.intermediate.IFContext
>>>
>>> This would mean deprecating
>>> o.a.f.apps.FOUserAgent.setRendererOverride(...) since (if I'm not
>>> mistaken) this is legacy code to bind a MIME type to IF output.
>>> Obviously I would also give instructions to use the IFDocumentHandler
>>> implementation. Also, while we're at it, the IFDocumentHandler method
>>> isn't described on the link above, so I'll try and put some
>>> information there as well.
>>
>> Thanks for preparing the list of classes that form the public API. I have chcked
the code that we use to embed FOP and it's all present in the above list. A shame that its
necessary to use classes from render.intermediate in order to go FO->IF->PDF. In an
ideal world those classes should be in a top level intermediate package or a sub package of
apps, but that won't be easy to change now!

>> +1 to adding the above list to the website so we now have a clear definition of what
is part of the API and what is not.

>> The changes you propose to the move foUserAgent to the Renderer constructors do not
affect any of the above API classes so +1 to commit those too.