From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1234877 - in /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk: examples/embedding/java/embedding/ examples/embedding/java/embedding/atxml/ src/java/org/apache/fop/cli/ src/java/org/apache/fop/render/ src/java/org/apache/fop/render/awt/ src/java/org/apache/fop/rende...
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:16:54 GMT
On 23/01/2012 22:41, J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Hi Mehdi!

Hi Joerg, Mehdi,

> Am 23.01.2012 17:15, schrieb mehdi@apache.org:
>> This breaks the public API but for good reasons:
> Good reasons or not, there are a few guidelines when it comes
> to changing public interfaces:
> - There has to be a discussion of the change. Alternatively,
>    open a bugzilla ticket and provide reasons and the proposed
>    solution/patch for inspection (yes, even committers should
>    do that)
> - It's good practice to call a vote after the pros and cons
>    of the change have been laid out.
> - It's also good practice to deprecate functionality which is
>    going to be removed, in order to maintain compatibility for
>    at least one release cycle and give users time to adapt.
> Please revert the commit.

I agree this should have been discussed before it was committed. Mehdi
has now reverted the change and put the changes into a patch. Most of
the Java code in FOP has a public modifier, but that in my view does not
mean it is part of the public API for embedding FOP. I think we need a
clearer definition of what is part of the public API and what is not and
we should document this.

Thanks,

Chris