From Craig Ringer <cr...@postnewspapers.com.au>
Subject Document and page callbacks for image handlers
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2011 08:14:28 GMT
Hi

I'm interested in implementing merging of duplicate subset fonts in
Jeremias's fop-pdf-image extension. I'm working with fop 1.0, and i'm
having trouble with two things:

- A clean way to associate data that's private to the image processing
plugin with a particular rendering run so I can access it across
multiple invocations of the plugin; and

- How to append some additional PDF objects after the last page is
emitted but before the PDF document trailer and final xref table(s) are
written out.

I think I've figured out how to associate private image plugin data with
the document being rendered (using the RenderContext as a key to a
static WeakHashMap in the plugin) but it seems like a pretty ugly
approach, so I'm hoping there's a better way I'm missing.

More problematic is that I need to emit additional PDF objects after the
last page - or at least the last image - has been rendered. I can't see
any obivous callbacks to fop image plugins to notify them when a new
document is started, a new page started, a page finished or a new
document finished. Fop seems to have an event system but it seems to be
oriented toward trapping error conditions and problems rather than doing
extra work at certain processing phases. In particular, PDFEventProducer
doesn't seem to be useful for this.

Any advice on how to hook document completion after the last page is
written but before the pdf trailer and other closing pdf structure are
written, so I can write out some indirect objects I've only written
indirect references to so far?

Sorry if these are somewhat stupid questions. I'm very new to fop's
codebase and I'm still getting my head around it.

--
Craig Ringer

POST Newspapers
276 Onslow Rd, Shenton Park