From Adrian Cumiskey <adrian.cumis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fop Memory Use
Date Wed, 18 May 2011 16:10:35 GMT
Hi Eric,

Fop calculates layout in page sequence chunks, so try breaking up your pages into chunks of
page sequences.  Pages should be available for garbage collection once the page sequence has
been rendered.

Cheers, Adrian.

On May 18, 2011, at 7:24 AM, Michael Rubin <mrubin@thunderhead.com> wrote:

> Just a wild thought. But is there a way you could possibly get the JVM to garbage collect
between each run? Maybe that might free the memory up?

> Thanks.
>
> -Mike
>
> On 18/05/11 13:20, Eric Douglas wrote:
>
>> I am using Fop 1.0.
>> I tried using Fop to transform a single document.  When I got a little over 100 pages
my FO file was over 5 MB.  The transform crashed with a Java heap out of memory error.

>> I managed to break the input down, as I'm using embedded code generating the input
programmatically, and the PDF output is a lot smaller.

>> So I'm currently transforming 10 pages at a time, setting the initial-page-number
to the next sequence (1, 11, 21, etc).

>> Then I save all the generated PDFs in memory and merge them using pdfbox.  So far
this is working great.

>> I tried to do the same thing with the PNGRenderer, just calling a method to transform
10 pages at a time and save the output images in an array.

>> The PNGRenderer is created locally in the method.  It should be getting released
when the method ends but the java process never releases any memory.

>> I tested a 90 page report and the memory use was over 1 GB.  I tested on another
machine where the memory limit is apparently lower and it crashed on page 24.

>> Everything about the method to render to PNG is the same as the method to render
to PDF aside from the Renderer.
>> Is there a problem with this renderer or something I could need to do different?
>>

> Michael Rubin
> Developer

> +44 20 8238 7400
> +44 20 8238 7401
>
> mrubin@Thunderhead.com
> www.thunderhead.com
>
> Thunderhead featured in The Sunday Times Profit Track 100 league table of companies with
fastest-growing profits. Click here to        read more.