From "Andreas L. Delmelle" <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Want to contribute
Date Sun, 22 May 2011 19:16:24 GMT
On 22 May 2011, at 19:47, darshan wrote:

Hi Darshan

> Thank you for the reply. I created a diff file and then wrote the checks, but I couldn't
figure how to verify if the test was working. Also since the page http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/testing.html
does not specify how I should submit the test file, I'm attaching the files with this mail.
If this is not the right way then please guide me to submit the file properly.

The best way is to just post them as a follow-up attachment, if you decide to close the bug.

> To run the test, I tried by putting the file in the test/layoutengine/standard-testcases
 folder and then setting the variable "-Dfop.layoutengine.starts-with" to my test file name,
but it didn't run the test. If you could also let me know how to verify if the test works
then that would be great.

Can you describe more in detail the exact steps you are taking? How do you set the variable,
and what do you do after that?

I ran your test and it failed:
java.lang.RuntimeException:
Expected XPath expression to evaluate to '20000', but got '' (XPath: /areatree/pageSequence/pageViewport[2]/page/regionViewport/regionBody/mainReference/span/flow/block/block[10]/block/linearea/inlineparent/@padding-start)

but this was in my local sandbox (!= trunk), so that may also be due to other changes on my
end.

> Lastly for my report I need to write who started the project and what was the reason
for starting the project. I know that James Tauber started the project but could you please
tell me why he started it?

I would say it was just to have an open-sourced, free, Java-based XSL-FO implementation to
augment the existing initiatives for XML parsing at that time, but I do not know this for
certain.

Regards

Andreas
---