From Michael Rubin <mru...@thunderhead.com>
Subject Re: Event broadcasting and listening question
Date Mon, 16 May 2011 08:38:11 GMT
Thanks again Jeremias. Your help much appreciated.

I have made the PDFEncryptionJCE class pass itself as source into
PDFEventListener.warnRevision3PermissionsIgnored() which gets passed
onto the PDFEventProducer.

Yes I am indeed calling
PDFEventListener.warnRevision3PermissionsIgnored() from the
PDFEncryptionJCE class. The call is originating from the init() method.
A bit of debugging and a fresh mind this morning revealed that
getDocumentSafely() is throwing an exception as the returned document is
null. (That was getting swallowed up and the InvocationTargetException
thrown instead that I got at the end of Friday.) So I think your last
paragraph is applicable in that PDFEncryptionManager will need to be
modified to set the PDF immediately as you say. So my next step is to
work out how I should do that...

Thanks!

-Mike

On 14/05/11 10:42, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> [...]
> sure I've made any mistakes).
>
>> In your first reply you said to create the Listener and Producer
>> interfaces. Based on the FontEvent* classes, both of these had an event
>> definition for their events. But in the latest reply you are saying not
>> to put my event in the new PDFEventListener? That would make it an empty
>> interface then if I understand right. So what would its purpose be? I
>> can't seem to do anything with it.
> Sorry for the confusion here. I didn't remember that there was already
> an EventProducer in org.apache.fop.render.pdf. So adding a new
> EventProducer doesn't make much sense. Instead your
> warnRevision3PermissionsIgnored() should be added to the existing one.
> No new EventProducer is necessary (and I didn't notice that at first).
>
>> Following discussion with a colleague (Vincent) I left the listener
>> method in (but without the source) and made the call to that to kick off
>> the event. However now I get an InvocationTargetException when I try to
>> get the PDF Doc in order to invoke the listener event method. Looking at
>> the stack trace it happens when I call the
>> PDFDocument.getDocumentSafely() method. It seems when debugging to be
>> PDFEncryptionManager.newInstance() where the error is occurring, the 3rd
>> line calling makeMethod.invoke(...). (I attempted to run the build ant
>> script and then refresh eclipse but this didn't make any difference.)
> I can't help much with that InvocationTargetException. Maybe if you
> posted a patch so I could reproduce it....
>
>> I will continue with this on Monday. Any further pointers in the
>> meantime very much appreciated.
>>
>> There are two questions that come from my colleague:
>>
>> 1. What is the source object for? And do we need it referenced in the
>> Listener? Or just the producer?
> My original idea was that this object gives the event handler a chance
> to intercept and modify the object that is the event origin. In most
> cases, it will certainly be ignored but someone might find it handy. And
> to have it in the producer means you also have to have it in the
> PDFEventListener. See also java.util.EventObject from which
> org.apache.fop.events.Event is derived.
>
>> 2. Why should we get the PDFDocument object from the Encryption class?
> It's a PDFObject, right? So it should already have the PDFDocument. That
> makes access to the PDFEventListener easy.
>
>> Should the listener not be passed into the Encryption class via its
>> constructor rather than having to go fetch the listener?
> Both are valid ways but since I expect the PDFDocument to already be set,
> I see no point in giving more information that can otherwise be easily
> accessed. Well, it could be that your event happens before the
> PDFDocument is set on that object (see PDFDocument.setEncryption()). In
> that case PDFEncryptionManager might have to be changed to pass in the
> PDFDocument immediately. Or you pass in the PDFEventListener, although I
> find the former more useful and flexible.

to PDFEventProducer in the org.apache.fop.render.pdf package and added a corresponding entry
to the xml. Removed the org.apache.fop.pdf.PDFEventProducer class and xml.
warnRevision3PermissionsIgnored(Object source);'.
that extends the PDFEventListener. (Currently just contains my new event. Should I also add
the existing 2 render.pdf events to this class?)
>>> Or do it the other way around: add your new event to PDFEventProcuder.
>>> Doesn't make sense to have two.
how to get the event broadcaster from that object. How is this done?
>>> public class PDFDocument {
>>>
>>> [..]
>>>
>>>       private PDFEventListener listener;
>>>
>>> [..]
>>>
>>>       public void setListener(PDFEventListener listener) {
>>>           this.listener = listener;
>>>       }
>>>
>>>       PDFEventListener getListener() {
>>>           return this.listener;
>>>       }
>>> [..]
>>>
>>> That's the simples way and should probably be sufficient. If we wanted
>>> to get fancy, we could handle a List<PDFEventListener>.
>>>
>>> In PDFDocumentHandler.startDocument():
>>> this.pdfDoc.setEventListener(new PDFLibraryEventAdapter(getUserAgent().getEventBroadcaster());
>>>
>>> So, the PDFDocument doesn't actually get an EventBroadcaster.
>>> PDFDocument calls the PDFLibraryEventAdapter and that one in turn calls
>>> the EventBroadcaster. Nicely decoupled.

for FOP. I have already got it working successfully but one issue remains that I have a question
about.

one place where I want to broadcast an event message. I looked athttp://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/events.html
 to learn about events. However it just shows "EventBroadcaster broadcaster = [get it from
somewhere];" and doesn't show how I should be getting the broadcaster. After looking in the
code in the AFP package for existing examples I put together the following which seems to
work on testing:

from which I can get the event broadcaster to supply to my event producer. (I had to create
a PDFEventProducer which extends EventProducer. Plus PDFEventProducer.xml which contains the
message mapping.)

so I am not sure existing listeners will pick up. So is there a recommended way that I can
get an existing event broadcaster to use? Or is the above way the correct way to do it after
all?

only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee
or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you
received it in error please notify us