xmlgraphics-fop-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Simon Pepping <spepp...@leverkruid.eu>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1067533 - /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/java/org/apache/fop/layoutmgr/BlockStackingLayoutManager.java
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2011 08:26:11 GMT
I am pleased that you undertake this kind of cleanup work in the
layout engine. It is very useful that you try to make this piece of
code more accessible.

Simon

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 12:18:15AM +0100, Andreas Delmelle wrote:
> On 05 Feb 2011, at 22:49, adelmelle@apache.org wrote:
> 
> > Author: adelmelle
> > Date: Sat Feb  5 21:49:58 2011
> > New Revision: 1067533
> > 
> > URL: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1067533&view=rev
> > Log:
> > Code cleanup
> > 
> > Modified:
> >    xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/java/org/apache/fop/layoutmgr/BlockStackingLayoutManager.java
> 
> In preparation of decommissioning its StackingIter, I noticed I had some minor cleanups
ready for this class. Checking closer, the code was still way too messy for my taste, so I
went further --and further... Quite far, actually, so a bit of explanation needed in case
someone goes looking for code that I removed.
> 
> I noticed there was quite a lot of code that, in fact, was never, ever used. It seemed
like an experiment from Luca, that likely should have been kept in a branch instead of being
committed to the trunk in an incomplete state. All it did here was confuse people, in a class
which is quite heavily used.
> I first spent quite some time cleaning up commented log.debug() statements in the method
createUnitElements(), then decided to check where the method was called, and found it was
only used in one place, in getChangedKnuthElements():
> 
> > -/* estensione: conversione complessiva */
> > -/*LF*/  if (bpUnit > 0) {
> > -/*LF*/      storedList = returnedList;
> > -/*LF*/      returnedList = createUnitElements(returnedList);
> > -/*LF*/  }
> 
> Now, that bpUnit member is written *only* in BlockLayoutManager and BlockContainerLayoutManager,
where it is set to 0 in the initialize() method. In effect, the method was unused, so I decided
to bite the bullet and remove it.
> 
> Additionally, given the above, I have also removed similar references to this bpUnit
member in other places, which eliminates some conditional branches. I have not yet removed
the variable itself, since it is still read in a few subclasses.
> 
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Andreas
> ---
> 

Mime
View raw message