I can run my program with the output going to PDF and it looks fine.  If I run the same exact program except send the output to the org.apache.fop.render.awt.viewer.PreviewPanel using MIME_FOP_AWT_PREVIEW, I get these and many more related lines in my Java Console:

Jun 17, 2010 4:04:16 PM org.apache.fop.render.AbstractRenderer renderXML
SEVERE: Some XML content will be ignored. Could not render XML
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at org.apache.fop.render.AbstractRenderer.renderXML(AbstractRenderer.java:806)

I searched the web and it opints to http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/graphics.html, suggesting the Batik doesn't recognize a graphical environment.  Is there something I need to add to the (FOP 0.95) code to recognize the graphics?  The PreviewPanel is a graphical object and it does display fine except for the image which is being drawn using SVG.  I tried adding the jars to the classpath, for an X server (http://sourceforge.net/projects/weirdx/files/WeirdX/1.0.32/weirdx-1.0.32.zip/download) and for the PJA ToolKit, and that alone didn't fix it.

What am I missing?