From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r741616 - in /xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AreaTreeNewDesign/src/documentation: content/xdocs/trunk/intermediate.xml resources/images/if-architecture-overview.png
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:09:16 GMT
Vincent Hennebert wrote:

Hi Vincent,

> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
>>On 10.02.2009 13:22:01 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Jeremias,
>>>
>>>A few suggestions:
>>>

> <snip/>

The first one
specification in chapter 1.1.2</a>.

>>>Renaming this class into AreaTreeRenderer or AreaTreeXMLRenderer will
>>>probably allow to avoid confusion in the future.
>>
>>-1 to that. Will break backwards-compatibility for those who are using
>>this renderer directly. It would break at least two pieces of software I
>>have.
>

> Breaking backwards-compatibility because of an important change in an
> API is a thing, simply have a class renamed is a non-issue if you ask
> me. It’s just a small search/replace and recompilation.
> To make things a little bit smoother though, XMLRenderer could be made
> deprecated with a suggestion to switch to AreaTree[XML]Renderer.

I'm sorry I agree with Jeremias here. The AreaTreeRenderer is part of
the user facing API if you work with the Intermediate Format as many
folks do. The reasons you state (about the meaning of the class not
being clear enough) aren't good enough IMO to warrant breaking backwards
compatibility.

-1 to this change.

<snip/>

Chris