From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: [Xmlgraphics-fop Wiki] Update of "PDF Accessibility" by JeremiasMaerki
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 22:43:43 GMT
On 06 Feb 2009, at 23:29, Andreas Delmelle wrote:

>> +    * [JM] XSL defines {{{xml:lang}}} as a shorthand for
>> {{{country}}}/{{{language}}}/{{{script}}}. So both are equivalent
>> from a user's perspective. It should be verified that
>> {{{xml:lang}}} is properly mapped to the other three properties.
>> Internally, the code should work off the basic XSL properties, not
>> the shorthand.
>
> FWIW: I think I have made sure at one point that the mapping of
> xml:lang to country/language should work (see a.o.
> org.apache.fop.fo.properties.XMLLangShorthandParser). The mapping to
> 'script' is not yet implemented.

Just did a quick re-read of the definition, and it seems that 'script'
is at most indirectly set by xml:lang (implied by country/language).
The xml:lang property itself only consists of <language-country>.
Literally, the XSL-FO Rec mentions (7.31.24):
"XSL treats xml:lang as a shorthand and uses it to set the country and
language properties.

Note:

In general, linguistic services (line-justification strategy, line-
breaking and hyphenation) may depend on a combination of the
"language", "script", and "country" properties."

Regards

Andreas