From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: [Xmlgraphics-fop Wiki] Update of "PDF Accessibility" by JeremiasMaerki
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 22:29:13 GMT
On 06 Feb 2009, at 08:19, Apache Wiki wrote:

Hi Jost, Jeremias

>  '''(R3)''' Decide how the language should be defined. Other
> implementations specify the @xml:lang on fo:root level. The same
> attribute is set for descendant's to override the default language.
> There is also the common FO property {{{country}}} and
> {{{language}}} to consider.
>
> +    * [JM] XSL defines {{{xml:lang}}} as a shorthand for
> {{{country}}}/{{{language}}}/{{{script}}}. So both are equivalent
> from a user's perspective. It should be verified that {{{xml:lang}}}
> is properly mapped to the other three properties. Internally, the
> code should work off the basic XSL properties, not the shorthand.

FWIW: I think I have made sure at one point that the mapping of
xml:lang to country/language should work (see a.o.
org.apache.fop.fo.properties.XMLLangShorthandParser). The mapping to
'script' is not yet implemented.
Very basically, however, since there is no validation whatsoever at
parse-time of whether the specified value conforms to the ISO
specification.
I see the possibility of adding this, and it doesn't even seem too
complicated.

Note that none of those properties apply to fo:root, so we'll probably
have to assume that the natural language of the document is the one of
the first fo:page-sequence. In theory, we always have access to the
specified value on fo:root, but accessing that from the renderer
context may get a bit messy (it exists only in the
'currentPropertyList' that is available in FOTreeBuilder)

Regards

Andreas