From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: AW: AW: Issues for after the IF branch merge
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:56:45 GMT
Right. "ordinary" users should not notice any negative effects. Users of
the Area Tree XML format won't be bothered, either, since nothing
changes there.

The only issue I see is for users who use extensions like Barcode4J or
JEuclid. They will have to upgrade to a newer version of those
extensions. The old extensions were just too tied into the Renderer
interface. The new ones are even usable outside of FOP (i.e.
applications which use the image loading framework in Apache XML
Graphics Commons).

Note to fop-devs: But if we actually do the "priority switch" in
RendererFactory that we discussed in another place even that could by
worked around for a transition time.

On 18.02.2009 10:44:37 Georg Datterl wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> I'm getting better and better. I actually understood all parts of your
> mail. :-) So for ordinary users, the change is not very much in terms
> of performance gain, but better than nothing. For me, who will read
> information from the AT in my multi-pass solution to the "duplicate
> cell content problem" it doesn't make any difference either, since both IF
> and the AT-xml I see are generated from the same AreaTreeModel. Right?
>
> Regards,
>
> Georg Datterl
>
> ------ Kontakt ------
>
> Georg Datterl
>
> Geneon media solutions gmbh
> Gutenstetter Straße 8a
> 90449 Nürnberg
>
> HRB Nürnberg: 17193
> Geschäftsführer: Yong-Harry Steiert
>
> Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
> Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20
>
> www.geneon.de

> Willmy Consult & Content GmbH:                 www.willmycc.de

why it was done in the first place:
> > > http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/fop/benchmark-2009-02-13/
> >
> > I'm probably missing something important here, but regarding the first graph:
> >
> > Isn't "direct" what ordinary users of fop do? Take a fo-file and then render it?

> Yes.
>
> > Isn't "direct-via-if" what ordinary users of fop will do in the future, if IF is
the default?

> Yes.
>
> > Isn't the work done in "direct-via-if" the sum of the work done in "to-if" and "from-if"?

> No. "to-if" renders the FO and uses IFSerializer (called by IFRenderer) to write an intermediate
file. "from-if" parses the intermediate file (using IFParser) and generates a series of calls
against an IFDocumentHandler and IFPainter implementation. So:

> "direct-via-if" = "to-if" + "from-if" - serializing IF - parsing IF or "to-if" + "from-if"
= "direct-via-if" + serializing IF + parsing IF

> The main motivation for the new IF is the fact that "serializing AT XML"
> and especially "parsing AT XML" is very costly.
>
> See also http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/fop/renderer-design-new.png
> which shows the two different paths.
>
> > And, if all the above answers are yes, why is the performance gain
> > noticed in "from-if" not more obviously related to the performance
> > gain in "direct-via-if"?
>
> There was a "no" above so this is not applicable anymore. I hope I could clear up the
gap.

> Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki