From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: svn commit: r741616 - in /xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AreaTreeNewDesign/src/documentation: content/xdocs/trunk/intermediate.xml resources/images/if-architecture-overview.png
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 07:55:50 GMT
On 10.02.2009 13:22:01 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> A few suggestions:
>
> > Author: jeremias
> > Date: Fri Feb  6 16:27:13 2009
> > New Revision: 741616

> > Log:
> > Updated intermediate format documentation.
> >
> > Added:
> >     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AreaTreeNewDesign/src/documentation/resources/images/if-architecture-overview.png
  (with props)

> What software did you use to produce this image? You may want to also
> commit the source file, so that others can edit it if necessary.

Inkscape. I'll add the original file shortly.

> <snip/>
> >      <section id="introduction">
> >        <title>Introduction</title>
> > -        The intermediate format (IF) is a proprietary XML format that represents
the area tree
> > -        generated by the layout engine. The area tree is conceptually defined in
the
> > +        Apache FOP now provides two different so-called intermediate formats. The
first one
> > +        (let's call it the area tree XML format) is basically a 1:1 XML representation
of the FOP's
> > +        area tree generated by the layout engine. The area tree is conceptually
defined in the
specification in chapter 1.1.2</a>.
> > -        The IF can be generated through the area tree XML Renderer (the XMLRenderer).
>
> Renaming this class into AreaTreeRenderer or AreaTreeXMLRenderer will
> probably allow to avoid confusion in the future.

-1 to that. Will break backwards-compatibility for those who are using
this renderer directly. It would break at least two pieces of software I
have. If you you generate SAX events
(AbstractXMLRenderer.setContentHandler()), working with MIME types isn't
enough. Besides, I don't think that would really improve the whole thing
much. After all, with the new IF, we're not primarily talking about
renderers but something else (IFDocumentHandler/IFPainter).

> <snip/>
>
> Vincent

Jeremias Maerki