From "The Web Maestro" <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Intermediate Format: How to handle extension attributes?
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2008 01:11:09 GMT
On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> 3. The IFDocumentHandler/IFPainter pair gets access to a "context"
> object where it can access to the currently applicable extension
> attributes. The context object would play adapter for the two different
> extension sources: Map from the area tree and Attributes from the
> IFParser. That would avoid any additional processing especially if no
> extension objects are present. The context object would be set on the
> IFDocumentHandler at the beginning.
>
> 4. is a variant of 3 in which case the foreign object adapter would be
> available through a ThreadLocal.
>
> Personally, I prefer option 3 as it's the easiest to understand. In this
> case, I'd probably remove set/getUserAgent() in favor of
> set/getIFContext() and provide access to the user agent through the
> IFContext to avoid cluttering the IFDocumentHandler interface.
>
> Any other opinions or additional ideas? If I hear nothing I'll implement
> option 3.

Option 3 sounds the best to me, although I don't fully comprehend the
ramifications of each choice. But does it make sense to retain the
current, deprecated set/getUserAgent() for convenience, even if it's
mapped to the set/getIFContext() method?

Happy Christmas from Park City, Utah!

Regards,

The Web Maestro
--