From Adrian Cumiskey <adrian.cumis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r708134 [1/6] - in /xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources: ./ src/java/org/apache/fop/ src/java/org/apache/fop/afp/ src/java/org/apache/fop/afp/fonts/ src/java/org/apache/fop/afp/goca/ src/java/org/apache/fop/afp/ioca/ src/java/org...
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:55:39 GMT
As you know Jeremias, this AFP library and an AFPRenderer was originally donated to the Apache

Foundation in 2006 [1].  It was donated as a prototype AFP library and renderer all mixed
up together.

 From the work I have done in the Temp_AFPGOCAResources branch, the original AFP code is no
longer
just a library and renderer but is a much more complete production quality implementation.
 We now
have complex data object creation, native image embedding using object containers, resource
group
streaming (external), resource leveling and an AFPGraphics2D implementation providing GOCA
support.
  Its offering is now much more substantial and mature and it made sense as I implemented
these
things that that the AFP library component should become independent and have no knowledge
of FOP's
AFP rendering component.  Having this separation in mind made it conceptually easier for me.

As you mentioned with the PDF library, maybe there might similarly be a desire for access
to the AFP
library in XG Commons or elsewhere in the future, this would now be quite straight forward
if there
was a desire for it.  Similarly, other projects which may have no interest in the FOP rendering

engine or even XML Graphics are far more likely to make use of this AFP library and may even

contribute back :).

Of course I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of other committers.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/xmlgraphics-fop-afp-renderer.html

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Back in 2003, the RTF library was moved from org.apache.fop.rtf under
> org.apache.fop.render.rtf [1], and now the AFP library is moved in
> exactly the opposite direction. Yes, there's the PDF library under
> org.apache.fop.pdf. But it's destined to move out to XG Commons because
> Batik needs a cleaner access path to it (I know, I know, that one's
> still on my task list). I'm not vetoing this change but I would think
> things like that warrant checking back with the rest of the committers
> to see what they think before doing something like that. I believe we
> would want to follow a certain strategy on such things. FWIW, I
> currently don't see a necessity or benefit for this change at the moment.
>
> [1] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?limit_changes=0&view=rev&revision=196981
>
> On 27.10.2008 13:11:38 acumiskey wrote:
>> Author: acumiskey
>> Date: Mon Oct 27 04:11:31 2008
>> New Revision: 708134

>> Log:
>> All AFP library classes without Renderer dependencies moved from org.apache.fop.renderer.afp.*
to org.apache.fop.afp.*.
>> AbstractNamedAFPObject now truncates names to the last x characters of the name string
instead of the first x (where x is the name length of the structured field).
>> Removed redundant package org.apache.fop.store.
> <snip/>
>

> Jeremias Maerki

Adrian.