From Dario Laera <la...@cs.unibo.it>
Subject Re: Active node tree pruning in FOP trunk
Date Sat, 25 Oct 2008 17:43:46 GMT

Il giorno 24/ott/08, alle ore 00:52, Dario Laera ha scritto:
> About left-aligned or justified: with the latter *sometimes* having
> threshold=1.0 is enough (I think because of stretchable glues) so
> obviously the number of active node is reduced, while the former
> will always fall in threshold=20.0 and in force mode (talking about
> my tests). Anyway, while I'm not sure short/long lines really makes
> difference, it's evident that non justified text produce a lot more
> of active nodes than justified ones.

The knuth list for a {left|right}-aligned paragraph is about twice the
one of a justified paragraph. If you look at the methods
addElementsFor* in TextLayoutManager class you can see that in some
cases, depending on the alignment, a different number of glues/
penalties can be added. This obviously makes the breaks possibilities
growing, as you can see in the graph attached that compare the SAME
xsl-fo except for alignment.

Dario