From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Supporting unusual encodings for Type 1 fonts
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2008 09:44:04 GMT
You should look for error messages from the viewers or obviously wrong
results. I've just uploaded a PNG which show the three variants and the
differences in between. This is the expected output (with explanations).
Caution: the PNG is >1MB! Anyway, the output from the viewers you tested
is obviously fine.

http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/fop/type1-demo/changes-explained.png

Another thing that could be tested is if copy/paste of the text into a
Unicode-capable (!) application is possible. Adobe Acrobat seems to have
a problem in certain cases but that's more a bug there than in FOP
because other tools can extract the text just fine.

On 02.03.2008 07:39:41 The Web Maestro wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:14 AM, Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> > For those, who want to test PDF viewer compatibility I have a demo PDF
> >  which demonstrates Type 1 "step 2" implemented with solution 2 (multiple
> >  descendant fonts with dynamic encoding build-up).
> >
> >  http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/fop/type1-demo/
> >  - [1] font-type1-demo-before.pdf (revision 627678, before I added the AFM stuff,
i.e. step 1)
> >  - [2] font-type1-demo-step1.pdf (current FOP Trunk HEAD)
> >  - [3] font-type1-demo-step2.pdf (my local working copy)
>
> I'm not sure what exactly to look for, but I've taken screenshots of
> the 3 versions open Mac OS X 10.4.x Preview v3.0.9 & Acrobat 8.1.2:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~clay/fop/type1-demo/
>
> HTH!
>
> Regards,
>
> The Web Maestro
> --
> <the.webmaestro@gmail.com> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
> My religion is simple. My religion is kindness.
> - HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Jeremias Maerki