From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: Initial soft hyphen support
Date Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:05:01 GMT
On Jan 13, 2007, at 10:31, Manuel Mall wrote:

Hi Manuel,

> Just committed the initial support for the soft hyphen.

Nice job, thanks!

> As we had two in favour of having the SHY always produce a break
> opportunity and only one against that's the route I took.
>
> I had no luck with giving the SHY a reduced penalty and have the Knuth
> algorithm favour them before normal hyphenation breaks. Even with a
> penalty value of 1 fop still chooses the hyphenation break with a
> penalty of 50. Either I do something wrong or I misunderstand how the
> Knuth breaking calculation is suppose to work. May be one of the Knuth
> experts can have a look at this PLEASE.

Well, I'm still not really an expert, but as I'm beginning to
understand more and more, what you altered was the base Knuth element
generation, right?

IIUC, a possible solution may be to treat SHY as special *only* if
hyphenation is turned off.
The reasoning being that, if hyphenate is true, then handling the SHY
becomes the hyphenator's job. The SHY character will be presented to
the hyphenator simply as a character of the word it appears in. The
hyphenator should then be smart enough to recognize this as a special
character, and do something like: create a hyphenation point for the
SHY, and try to hyphenate the parts before and after the SHY as
separate words...

HTH!

Andreas