From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: Initial soft hyphen support
Date Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:36:30 GMT
On Jan 14, 2007, at 23:11, J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
>> The SHY character will be presented to the hyphenator simply as a
>> character of the word it appears in. The hyphenator should then be
>> smart enough to recognize this as a special character, and do
>> something like: create a hyphenation point for the SHY, ...
>
> Unfortunately, the hyphenator currently isn't as nearly as smart,
> and it's a major job to push it in this direction. E.g. it means
> major API changes.

Unfortunate indeed :(

BTW: I took a very quick look, and does anyone know if there is a
good reason why Hyphenation.word is a String? I mean, everything that
comes from FOText and passes through TextLM is already char[]. The
Hyphenation constructor takes a String parameter, so I guess
somewhere --haven't looked yet-- a String is constructed from the
portion of char[] that is to be hyphenated. If you then look at
HyphenationTree, it says word.toCharArray()...

Cheers,

Andreas