From Manuel Mall <man...@apache.org>
Subject Kerning and hyphenation
Date Sat, 13 Jan 2007 05:32:15 GMT
While looking into the support for the Soft Hyphen the area of
hyphenation combined with kerning is causing me trouble.

Aside 1: our fonts page claims we don't support kerning but I believe we
do.

Aside 2: Our tests are based on setting the base14kerning flag. I don't
think this flag is documented anywhere on the fop site. Can it be set
in the config file?

I wrote a simple test under fop 0.93 and noticed that the ipd of text
areas with the combination of kerning and hyphenation are not correctly
calculated (at least I think so). With the Base 14 sans-serif font at
20pt we get:

Word "vanda" alone on a line: ipd=53980
Word "vandavanda" alone on a line: ipd=107560 (53980+53980-400)
Word "vandavandavanda" alone on a line: ipd=161140
(53980+53980+53980-400-400)
If we now take the word "vandavandavandavanda" and get it hyphenated
after the 3rd "vanda" the line containing "vandavandavanda-" reports an
ipd of 168800 which is incorrect. I think it should be 161140 + 6660
(width of hyphen) = 167800.

Before I investigate this more can someone else check this and see if
they get similar results.

I have attached the test case I have constructed.

Manuel