From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: line-stacking-strategy "max-height" vs "line-height"
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:10:50 GMT

On 12.01.2007 07:39:27 Manuel Mall wrote:
> I am trying to understand the differences between the two
> line-stacking-strategies "max-height" and "line-height". As usual the
> spec is hard to read / understand.
>
> My understanding of the difference between the two strategies seems to
> boil down to: max-height treats the half-leading as space-before /
> space-after and they therefore participate in space resolution while
> for line-height the half-leading is included in the allocation
> rectangle and therefore doesn't participate in space resolution.

I get that impression, too. But the fact that the definition of
per-inline-height-rectangle is so complicated makes me doubting that
we've got every detail here.

An example: The only FO that uses the large-allocation-rectangle and can
generate "space-before" and "space-after" traits is fo:inline-container
(only in XSL 1.0! In XSL 1.1 it uses the normal-allocation-rectangle!!!
Weird, ey?). My suspicion is that the "space-before" and "space-after"
traits from inline-container might make a difference between max-height
and line-height, though I haven't analyzed that part, yet, due to the
difference in the specs.

> As fop currently doesn't do space resolution for the half-leading these
> two strategies produce identical results in fop. Actually our
> compliance page is misleading as it says we don't
> support "line-height". It seems we don't support "max-height" properly
> but "line-height" correctly although support for "max-height" is
> mandatory in the spec.
>
> What do others think? Do you agree with this assessment or have I
> misunderstood or overlooked something?

Looks like I pretty much agree with my current knowledge. Maybe someone
has spotted a detail that we've overlooked.

Jeremias Maerki