From Manuel Mall ...@arcus.com.au>
Subject Re: text-decoration inheritance
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2007 23:49:55 GMT
On Sunday 07 January 2007 23:04, J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Manuel Mall wrote:
> > I was just looking at some inline handling stuff and came across
> > the inheritance behaviour of the text-decoration property.
>
> IIRC one of the problems is merging the various decoration values:
>   <fo:wrapper text-decoration="underline">text1
>    <fo:wrapper text-decoration="overline">text2
>    </fo:wrapper>
>   </fo:wrapper>
> I'd say "text 2" should be both underlined and overlined. I
> text-decoration were inherited, the decoration of the inner
> wrapper would already override underlining.
> In order to turn off underlining, one should use
>   <fo:wrapper text-decoration="underline">text1
>    <fo:wrapper text-decoration="overline no-underline">text2
>    </fo:wrapper>
>   </fo:wrapper>

Joerg,

that makes sense to me. It seems the spec is once again confusingly
worded. What you are saying is that the intention of the spec is to
treat the text-decoration property actually as 4 separate inheritable
properties like:

text-decoration-underline:
	Value: false | true | inherit
	Initial: false
	Inherited: yes

text-decoration-overline: ...
text-decoration-line-through: ...
text-decoration-blink: ...

Actually as color is inherited as well the properties are more like:

text-decoration-underline-style:
	Value: none | solid | inherit
	Initial: none
	Inherited: yes

text-decoration-underline-color:
	Value: auto
	Initial: auto
	Inherited: yes

With the prose then explaining that auto means the font color of the
element the corresponding text-decoration-...-style property is
explicit set on.

The current text-decoration property then just becomes a shorthand for
the above.

If this interpretation of the spec intention is correct then FOP behaves
OK.

> J.Pietschmann

Manuel