From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Implementing OpenType font support, how hard?
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:57:56 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Doesn't kerning cause the same problem as smart font features (like
> automatic ligatures)? It also causes the total width of a group of
> character to change when the group is split between two lines.

AFAICT kerning rarely applies to character pairs which may be subject
to line breaks, at least for western alphabets. So I wouldn't worry
all that much, except for proper adjustments in case of hyphenation.
Arabic, thai and various indian scripts are another matter, but then
there are a lot of more basic features for handling these scripts
properly missing anyway.

J.Pietschmann