From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: Funny FYI: markers as initial children...?
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:21:24 GMT
On Aug 7, 2006, at 13:23, Manuel Mall wrote:

> On Monday 07 August 2006 18:33, Chris Bowditch wrote:
>> <snip />
>> Surely this rule in the spec means first non-whitespace only node???
>> In any case, this is how FOP should behave IMO.
>>

> I am not so sure here. If this is illegal:
>
> <fo:block background-color="red">
>   Some text before the marker
>    <fo:marker marker-class-name="m1">
>      <fo:block font-size=".5em">
>        First marker with small font
>      </fo:block>
>    </fo:marker>
> </fo:block>
>
> then IMO FOP is correct in rejecting the example Andreas provided
> because with white-space-collapse="false" white-space becomes
> an ordinary area generating sequence of characters.

I'd think so too. Seemed logical to me. Just funny, because it kept
me busy for quite some time yesterday. Should've looked at the log
output much sooner... :)
In the end, whether the characters are white-space or not, the first
node in the block is a PCDATA node, so we should reject it. If the
white-space is collapsed, then the marker becomes the first node/
initial child, and the constraint is satisfied.

Cheers,

Andreas