From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: keep...="always" and Knuth penalties
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:13:59 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Fabio Gianetti made a good comment [1]. I answered like this [2]. I'm
> currently thinking about how best to implement this. To keep it simple
> for the moment, we could implement "always" like before but
> remove/disable the overflow recovery I've implemented. That way, the
> content would again overflow. All integer values could be implemented as
> penalty=999 for the moment (thus allow some relaxing), at least until we
> have a good scheme about mapping integer keeps to penalty values like we
> started to discuss some time ago. However, this would disable the
> possibility to shove an element ahead n pages in the hope that there
> will be a page that the element fits on (the purpose of the overflow
> recovery). But that will be a very rare thing anyway, so I don't think
> there's any harm. Any objections?

Well until integer values for keeps are implemented I object to
implementing always such that it generates overflow on a page. The
ability to error or clip gives little comfort to users either.

Personally I prefer the Renderer to relax the keep-together="always" if
required. Fabio seems to suggest in his post that it is implementation
dependent what happens in this situation. Maybe we could have a
configuration option?

<snip/>

Chris