From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: [GSoC] Auto-table layout questions
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:59:02 GMT
On Jul 18, 2006, at 21:30, Patrick Paul wrote:

> Now I need a little pointer on how best to fly over table rows
> without "touching" them. I have some idea but I would prefer to
> check with the experts.

Tricky indeed... the TableRowIterator constructs the very list it is
supposed to iterate over
--I mean: it creates the elements from another list instead of simply
returning them un-"touched".
prefetchAll() is unused ATM, exactly because you would "touch" all
rows (if I catch your intended meaning of that word correctly?)

OTOH, that method seems to have been added with auto-layout in mind
anyway, so give it a shot, but mind the large tables...

Seems like, instead of simply prefetchNext(), you could try refining
it to:

1) prefetchNext() [= get the row *group*, minor yet important detail]
2) doing what you need [= calculate content-length?]
3) immediately dispose of it

Another option would be to use an altered version of prefetchNext()
altogether.

HTH!

Cheers,

Andreas