From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Media or paper tray selection in FOP
Date Thu, 11 May 2006 07:55:24 GMT
Simon Pepping wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I read the long discussion between Jeremias and Chris, and Jörg's
> note.
>
> I do not like the idea of extension elements. I think, here I refer
> back to a recent post by Glen about standard FO files. I like the idea
> of a configuration file. Even a different configuration file for each
> single document is not a bad thing, possibly in addition to a more
> permanent configuration file with more permanent data like
> fonts. Surely most users do not like to write a configuration file
> often, but maybe someone can write a GUI for them to fire off FOP with
> the desired configuration.

This sounds like it could be hard work for the user. I don't like this
approach for that reason.

> I also have a feeling of reinvention, not of TeX/DVI, but of the
> wheel. I do not know really much about printing. But I imagine this
> procedure. When I ask an application like Acrobat to print a file, it
> pops up a dialog. The dialog reads a printer capabilities file, as a
> PPD file or from the printer driver or from some other source. So the
> user makes a choice and the application inserts the appropriate
> commands for the user's choice into the output file. FOP is such a
> application, so that is what it should do. Do all these applications
> do the work themselves? I do not think so. They use a framework. Isn't
> Java's framework the Java Printing System? So FOP should use that.

You are right FOP should not be concerning itself with the details of
Printing and that should be left to an external system. However media
selection cannot be determined without some input from the user. IMO,
these hints should live in the FO file, but they should be minimal and
not the entire configuration as Jeremias was suggesting.

> So definitely a configuration external to the FO file. And something
> like the Java Printing System to know the installed printer
> configuration and provide the user with the appropriate GUI and
> choice.

Well, its not always possible to show a GUI. That might work well for
Acrobat, but when FOP is used in a Batch Processing engine running on a
Unix server how will it prompt the user for media selection?

> Regarding a configuration file per printing run, recently a similar
> possibility was put forward for the user preferences for
> printer-specific image handling and other options. In a recent
> fop-user post I suggested the idea of hyphenation exceptions in a
> configuration file.

I agree hyphenation exceptions should belong in a configuration file. I
would imagine that once the exceptions have been worked out they will
remain constant for a long time and will not change between documents,
like media selection can.

Chris