From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Question about status of JEuclid and possible inclusion in FOP
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 12:13:11 GMT
I forgot to CC the jeuclid list when I replied to Max. Here's the link:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-fop-dev/200604.mbox/%3c20060430093918.BC13.DEV@jeremias-maerki.ch%3e
Just in case...

The whole thing about bringing JEuclid into the XML Graphics project is
not that simple. As I said before, this would be a new subproject which
means that it would have to go through the Incubator and not only the IP
clearance process. However, without a live community (at least >2 active
developers) around the thing it has practically no chance to succeed. I
have to clarify my position here: I'm not actively using MathML and
that's why I don't have much time to help here. I'm willing to help
faciliating a migration if the preconditions are met. The problem is
that I don't see they are. JEuclid is not unlike Barcode4J (my baby)
which is also not going to come here mostly because there's no live
developer community there. Last fall, I was hoping that JEuclid may gain
some new momentum, but as far as I can see the whole thing was a single
commit to CVS in December and that was it. Please be aware that such a
migration is A LOT OF WORK and takes considerable energy. The legal work
alone is a project in itself.

So, IMO you should work towards a JEuclid release from within the
SourceForge project. JEuclid is better served that way. People
interested in MathML should gather there and strengthen JEuclid from
within first. FOP can still use JEuclid for MathML handling. What I can
help with right now is to do a review of JEuclid and update the MathML
extension for FOP Trunk. This extension can either live here in FOP or
in JEuclid. I don't care so much. When the JEuclid release is available
and the FOP extension updated we can bundle JEuclid with FOP as we've
already decided last year. Same for Barcode4J, BTW.

If there are strong voices from within the XML Graphics project to adopt
JEuclid we can reevaluate but until then I don't see JEuclid coming to
the ASF. As a prebuilt JAR under a compatible license, yes, but not as
source code.

Jeremias Maerki