From Luca Furini <lfur...@cs.unibo.it>
Subject Re: letter-spacing
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:44:39 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> > The recommendation states that "The algorithm for resolving the adjusted
> > values between word spacing and letter spacing is User Agent dependent."
> > (7.17.2 in the candidate recommendation), so I think this is not a wrong
> > behaviour: it just assumes that word spaces have a higher precedence than
> > letter spaces.
>
> No, actually in both cases the precedence is "force" so all spaces
> survive the resolution process.

So, just to check I understood:

- according to the pdf specifications between two words there is
   1 word space + 2 letter spaces

- according to the xsl recommendation there is
   1 word space + 1 letter space (or better, two half letter spaces)

- fop currently puts just a word space

Is this correct?

But I still don't understand what the words concerning "adjusted values
between word spacing and letter spacing" are supposed to mean ...

> However, while I was out for a few hours I was thinking about this and I
> came to the conclusion that it may make sense to keep an array of
> character offsets as an attribute of a WordArea in the area tree.

It would probably be the best way to deal with kerning too.

My only concern is about the resulting pdf size: if we specify an offset
for each character, wouldn't it become (at least) twice as big as before?

Regards
     Luca