From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Combine FOP & PDFBox efforts?
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:52:52 GMT
Ben Litchfield wrote:

<snip/>

> I propose that classes in FOP's package be 'merged' into the PDFBox
> library and FOP utilize PDFBox for PDF functionality.
>
> I think we should do this for a variety of reasons;
> -PDFBox & FOP benefit by gaining functionality
> -PDFBox & FOP benefit by having a larger user base, which means code is
> used more, tested more, contributed to more
> -The entire community benefits by having higher quality PDF components
> available
> -There are several projects that currently take FOP output and perform
> post processing with PDFBox, this could be optimized if FOP used PDFBox
> as its core
> -Future core PDF development efforts will no longer be duplicated
> between these two projects

Thanks for coming forward with this proposal. It certainly looks like
both projects have a lot to gain from such a merge.

The one who really needs to comment on this proposal is Jeremias as he
had plans to take the PDF library out of FOP's code base and make it a
separate library in XML Graphics Commons project. It could be that when
we do this, we also merge with PDF Box Libraries.

I believe Jeremias is unwell at the moment, so he might not be able to
comment for a few days. Jeremias is also well versed in the ASF position
on licensing.

> I wanted to gauge interest from FOP developers and start to think about
> how we can make this work.  What do you guys think?

In short its a good idea :)

Chris