From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: RTF - list-item-label encoding (was: RTF and table/column widths (moved from fop-users))
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:21:55 GMT
On Mar 1, 2006, at 08:46, b.ohnsorg@freenet.de wrote:

> You changed the Writer.write to StringBuffer operations. I'd say
> that appending to a StringBuffer is much slower than writing
> directly to a BufferedOutputStream. There was a comparison between
> static concatenation, concatenation of Strings (variables) during
> runtime and appending characters to a StringBuffer. I don't
> remember the factor, but it was significant. Afterall RTF-export is
> not time critic and runs smooth and maybe the usage of
> StringBuffer.append is encouraged (due to incredible speed up in
> newer SDKs...whatever)...any comments?

Really? Well, I have to admit, this was a late-night idea :-/

Maybe we could make sure the Writer is wrapped into a BufferedWriter
when creating it in RTFHandler, just to streamline a bit.

I'd drop that static Map anyways. Makes sense if you need the same
constant in a hundred different places, but since all remains private
to that tiny class here, they could as well be hardcoded. Work
directly on the char primitive instead of the Character object as
much as possible. (?)

Cheers,

Andreas