From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: RTF - list-item-label encoding (was: RTF and table/column widths (moved from fop-users))
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:52:47 GMT
On Mar 4, 2006, at 11:19, b.ohnsorg@freenet.de wrote:

> Von: "Andreas L Delmelle"<a_l.delmelle@pandora.be>
>
>> On Mar 1, 2006, at 08:46, b.ohnsorg@freenet.de wrote:
>>
>>> You changed the Writer.write to StringBuffer operations. I'd say
>>> that appending to a StringBuffer is much slower than writing
>>> directly to a BufferedOutputStream.
>>
>> Really? Well, I have to admit, this was a late-night idea :-/
> And I didn't read the TechTips for a long time:
>
> http://java.sun.com/developer/TechTips/1998/tt0120.html
>
> So String vs. StringBuffer is 1:1/6 (StringBuffer.append is six
> times faster or needs only a sixth than concatenating Strings). And
> StringBuffer.append->Writer vs. String->BufferedWriter is not
> mentioned that explicitly anywhere, but if both are StringBuffer-
> techniques, this is only two times slower. As said before, RTF is
> quite fast, no layout managing, that sort of thing. So not that bad
> at all...

You're quite right, I believe. Any changes to this will lead to a
marginal overall improvement at best.

This whole thing got me wondering, though, if there are any other
places in the rtf-lib where characters outside of the 7-bit ASCII
range are incorrectly written to the output as characters (instead of
passing through RtfStringConverter to do unicode escapes).

We'll keep looking as well.

Thanks for your input/feedback!

Cheers,

Andreas