From Clay Leeds <webmaes...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Combine FOP & PDFBox efforts?
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 04:27:17 GMT
I spent a little time on the Apache Licensing page, and didn't find
anywhere that said it was compatible (I'm not saying it isn't
compatible, just that I didn't see anything that said it was... in
the 5 minutes I looked). As for the rest of the licensing stuff, I
don't know. But the answer may be on the Apache Licensing page[3]
somewhere.

In any case, I suspect other FOP-dev codies will have more to say
about the whole prospect of working together. I just thought I'd get
the ball rolling a bit.

Clay

On Mar 9, 2006, at 7:39 PM, Ben Litchfield wrote:
> Hi Clay,
>
> I am glad to hear this sounds like a possibility.
>
> PDFBox is currently licensed under the BSD license.  I did not
> initially envision a change in licensing, but I am open to
> possibilities if necessary.  Is there a reason it would need to
> change?
>
> It is my understanding that Apache projects can utilize projects
> that are BSD licensed.  Is it possible for the existing FOP pdf
> classes to become part of PDFBox under the BSD license?
>
> Ben
>

> Clay Leeds wrote:
>> On Mar 9, 2006, at 12:43 PM, Ben Litchfield wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am the main developer of PDFBox, an open source(BSD) PDF library.
>>>
>>> FOP contains PDF library functionality(specifically classes in
>>> org.apache.fop.pdf.*) and PDFBox is a PDF library.  Because they do
>>> very similar things they contain a lot of overlapping code, but
>>> the pdf
>>> package in FOP has some features that PDFBox does not and PDFBox has
>>> some features that the FOP pdf package does not.
>>>
>>> I propose that classes in FOP's package be 'merged' into the PDFBox
>>> library and FOP utilize PDFBox for PDF functionality.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Ben Litchfield
>>> http://www.pdfbox.org/
>>
>> Thank you for your interest, Ben. Although I don't speak for
>> everyone, it does look intriguing to me. You may want to clarify
>> how you envision PDFBox will be licensed (would this be a software
>> license grant[1]?). I don't know the details on the BSD license.
>> Also, I assume you would provide a software license grant and fill
>> out a CLA[2].
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/#grants
>> [2]