From Max Berger <...@berger.name>
Subject Use of colors in fop
Date Sat, 11 Mar 2006 00:38:20 GMT
Dear fop developers,

One of the things I would like to see in fop is proper color management. Of
course, just wanting it is not enough, so I would even create a patch for that
:). I do have some extra time this weekend and next week. To coordinate and get
my idea reviewed here's my plan:

Color is currently handled very inconsistently in many places. In some cases it
is handled as r/g/b values in an int[], in others a class, sometimes with or
without colorspace information. There is duplicated code in many places.

What I would like to do:

- Replace ALL occurences of color values with a common color class. I would
suggest java.awt.Color and java.awt.color.Colorspace. They have proper support.

- Convert that color to the target space no earlier than the output renderer

The default target color space is probably sRBG for most screen display devices.

For PDF it is a little more complicated. Ideally there would be some kind of
PDF-mode option, with possible values of PDF/A-1a, Pdf (print), PDF (screen),
PDF (print B/W), PDF (print Grayscale), ... .For now, using CMYK for PDF should
be sufficient.

Once color is properly used it should be no problem to implement the rgb-cc()
and colorspace() functions.

Quenstions? Comments?

Max Berger

--
PGP/GnuPG ID: E81592BC   Print: F489F8759D4132923EC4 BC7E072AB73AE81592BC
For information about me or my projects please see http://max.berger.name