From Luca Furini <lfur...@cs.unibo.it>
Subject Re: Hyphetation broken with last commits
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:04:58 GMT
Manuel Mall wrote:

> Luca,
> why does our line breaking algorithm insist on having at least one Box
> in a paragraph? Is that inherent in the Knuth algorithm, i.e. can't it
> deal with empty paragraphs, that is paragraphs containing only Glue/Pen
> elements?

If I remember correctly, a sequence starting with glue / penalty elements
would not make the algorithm crash, but the produced ouput will take into
account the width of the glues too, while it should not.

This happens because there is not a "previous break", whose handling would
have the effect of ignoring glues and penalties between the break and the
first next box.

We could maybe move the leading space removal at the beginning of the
breaking algorithm itself, which could then check if there are some
elements left and create an "empty line break" if there is none.

HTH, unfortunately these days I'm really really busy and I have not much
time to look at this.

     Luca