From Luca Furini <lfur...@cs.unibo.it>
Subject Re: 4.3.2 Overconstrained space-specifiers
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:40:01 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> You will have seen that I've been working on overconstrained documents.
> 5.3.4 Overconstrained Geometry is more or less implemented, so now I
> need to have a look at 4.3.2 which proves quite difficult to understand.
> At least I can't make much sense of it ATM.
>
> [...]
>
> If anyone has an idea what rule 4 in 4.3.1 or the section 4.3.2 is about
> I'd love to read your thoughts. Otherwise, I will run this through the
> XSL editors list.

I always thought (probably wrongly) these sections of the spec refer to
the page regions, maybe because of the property display-align, and more as
a way to "formally justify" what is usually done than as prescribing some
particular behaviour.

To be more clear (I hope :-)): region viewports usually have a well-known
height (unless there is only a single page whose height is unbounded);
their area children don't always fill them completely.  The content areas
are placed at the top / center / bottom of the viewport according to the
value of display-align: but, as these extra spaces may be in contrast with
the space properties of the first and last child areas, we need, from a
formal point of view, a rule saying that we are allowed to do this,
otherwise the specs would be inconsistent.

In other words, I always read these rules as: "spaces added ad the top /
bottom of a page to implement display-align have greater precedence than
space-before or space-after traits of the child areas". According to me,
rule 4 should state something like this: "the maximum value of the
space-specifier is set to the difference between the containing height and
the content height".

Don't know if this makes any sense ...

Regards
     Luca