From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r349740 - /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/java/org/apache/fop/fo/pagination/Region.java
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:45:18 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> On 09.12.2005 14:42:45 Luca Furini wrote:
>
>>>Relaxed validation for border and padding on region-*.
>>
>>I see that, at the moment, with relaxed validation FOP does no more stops
>>with an error if a region has borders / padding, but anyway the borders
>>and padding are not painted (and even taken into account).
>>
>>I was wondering whether this is supposed to be the final behaviour of FOP,
>>or it's just an intermediate step: in other words, if no one is already
>>working on this, could I have a look at the code and try to add borders
>>and padding to the region areas, or such a change would be vetoed?

borders and padding on regions are a good thing IMO, and would not be
veto'd by me anyway ;)

> I'm not sure which, but at least one of the commercial implementations
> allows borders and padding on region-*. It's ok from my side if you want
> to do that but it should only work if relaxed validation is active. And
> please don't forget the test case if you implement the new feature.

RenderX's XEP allows borders and padding on regions but issues a warning
when they are used that it is an extension to the spec. This is similar
to the behaviour that you are proposing.

>>At the moment, I think the produced output is not what a user would expect
>

> The goal was to improve interoperability with commercial implementations,
> for people switching to FOP.

Its a good thing IMO.

Chris