From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: svn commit: r360083 - in /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk: ./ src/java/org/apache/fop/fo/ src/java/org/apache/fop/fo/flow/ test/layoutengine/standard-testcases/
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:41:04 GMT
On Dec 30, 2005, at 16:50, Manuel Mall wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:25 pm, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
>> Not really. Just had to draw a line somewhere... If you do it for the
>> last inline in a block, then you would also have to do it for the
>> last inline of the last inline of a block etc. Besides, you get a
>> second pass anyway, when the line is built. All the trailing space-
>> glyph-areas could be removed there (but they currently aren't anyway,
>> depending on text-alignment).
>>

> I am still not sure if this is not a step backwards.  Before the model
> was: All whitespace handling apart from dealing with whitespace around
> FOP generated linebreaks is done during the initial refinement.
>
> Now this is not really the case any more and the line breaking stuff
> would have to deal with treating whitespace in other places than
> around
> its own generated linebreaks as well. I was hoping we could get rid of
> the trailing paragraph space removal code in the line breaking
> algorithm as it is one of those areas causing trouble again and again.

Trailing spaces in a paragraph: yes, absolutely, which is why the
trailing whitespace in any block is removed there (albeit only
whitespace characters that are direct descendants of the block).

Trailing spaces in a line: now *this* is where currently most of the
tests fail. Trailing spaces are discarded only when you force text-
align to justify (for example).

Point is: if trailing spaces in a line are correctly suppressed
during line-building, the trailing spaces in the last inline of a
given block would be removed in that step (no matter at what depth
the inline is nested).

Cheers,

Andreas