From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: Hyphetation broken with last commits
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2005 16:46:42 GMT
On Dec 17, 2005, at 16:29, Manuel Mall wrote:

Hi,

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:07 pm, Simon Pepping wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:43:36AM +0800, Manuel Mall wrote:
> <snip/>
>> The case is contradictory in itself, and quite unique. A nbsp will
>> never occur at the end of a line by its very definition, except in
>> this case!
>>
> Simon,
>
> I don't quite get it what you are trying to say.
>
> <fo:block>&#160;</fo:block>
>
> is perfectly legal and sensible in both XSL-FO (and HTML) and doesn't
> that mean a nbsp does occur at the end (and beginning) of a line.

I guess what Simon is referring to is that if the line-breaking
algorithm does its job adequately, there will be no line-break
preceding/following a non-breaking-space, except when it is the first/
last character in a block. Other break-possibilities should, in
theory at least, always be considered more favorable than breaking
before/after the nbsp... Correct, Simon?

> What is contradictory or unique about this?

That indeed is a bit overstating the case. It's not contradictory,
but it is a rather special situation. Not taking into account the
number of times such a construct is used in practice... It is more of
an HTML/XSL-FO trick to make a block appear non-empty --used mainly
in the context of table-cells, to have their borders drawn despite
the fact that there is no visible content.

Cheers,

Andreas