From Vincent Hennebert <vincent.henneb...@enseeiht.fr>
Subject Transcoders and font configuration
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:22:12 GMT
This is perhaps more just for the record.

FOrayFont needs a font-config file to run properly; the most basic file
will only contain the paths to the base14 metrics afm files. If no
config file is specified then no font will be configured, which will
obviously lead to rendering errors.

I don't think this is a problem to provide a font-config file, neither
for the command-line nor for the programmatic ways of using Fop.
However, you may not like it; if this is the case we can discuss of
possibles workarounds.

Anyway there is a case when this is kind of problematic: when the
transcoders are used through Batik to convert standalone svg files into
ps/pdf. It seems less acceptable here to ask the user to provide a
font-config file.

It should be possible to bundle the base14 afm files and a default
config file together in a resources jar. I've never played with such
things so I don't know yet how to handle them, but that should be
feasible and moreover Batik seems to already use such a mechanism.

Due to that issue transcoders are currently broken; a quick-to-implement
solution may be to set up a system property that would contain the path
to a font-config file.

Anyway, before doing anything in this area, I would like to hear the
opinion of the team. WDYT? Do you know of other possible solutions?
Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks,
Vincent