From Adam Strzelecki <...@java.pl>
Subject Re: ToUnicode table for CID embedded fonts patch available
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 12:39:53 GMT
Hello Jeremias,

> Vincent Hennebert is already working with the FOray project to integrate
> its font subsystem with FOP so we will have ToUnicode CMaps. It's nice
> that you share your patch with everyone but it won't be applied to the
> old, frozen maintenance branch anymore.
Okay I can understand that. At last if somebody needs that, it can be
compiled anytime.

> Anyway, I'd rather you shared with us the details of your experience
> with 0.90alpha1 because that's where the fun is. If we knew what the
> problems with the DocBook stylesheets are, then we could fix them and
> let you migrate.
Alright... so those are the annoyances that makes me stay with 0.20:

1) Fox extensions doesn't work, so I cannot generate PDF with Table of
Contents tree anymore:

javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:
file:/D:/Work/Digitech/IWS%209.x%20redesign/IWS-redesign.fo:2:24687:
Error(2/24687): No element mapping definition found for fox:outline
Exception javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:
org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException:
file:/D:/Work/Digitech/IWS%209.x%20redesign/IWS-redesign.fo:2:24687:
Error(2/24687): No element mapping definition found for fox:outline

2) FOP 0.90alpha1 misinterprets comma separated font family name list in
family-name tags at FO, which should be interpreted as kind of priority
list when font is found of not. I know this is broken also in 0.20.5, so
0.20.5 will look just for Garamond and if not found it will be dropped
to default one... but 0.90alpha1 is looking for
"Garamond,Symbol,ZapfDingbats" which is total misbehavior:

Font 'Garamond,Symbol,ZapfDingbats,normal,400' not found. Substituting
with default font.
Font 'Garamond,Symbol,ZapfDingbats,normal,700' not found. Substituting
with default font.
Font 'Garamond,Symbol,ZapfDingbats,italic,400' not found. Substituting
with default font.
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Some content could not fit
into a line/page after 50 attempts. Giving up to avoid an endless loop.
Exception
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.lang.RuntimeException:
Some content could not fit into a line/page after 50 attempts. Giving up
to avoi
d an endless loop.

Anyway 0.90 font embedding is totally broken since... I got some errors
like cannot open Garamond,Bold in generated PDF-s.

So I'm waiting for FOray font subsystem in FOP.

3) Last thing I would really appreciate is I would love to generate PDF
directly from XML files using stylesheets but FOP XSLT routine is
somehow broken so I need to do the conversion with XSLTPROC which does
it without the problem.

This is the error when I use FOP with:
fop -xml myfile.xml -xsl docbook/fo/docbook.xsl -pdf myfile.pdf

Compiler warnings:
  file:/c:/Program%20Files/fop/docbook/fo/formal.xsl: line 433:
Attribute 'border-left-style' outside of element.
  file:/c:/Program%20Files/fop/docbook/fo/formal.xsl: line 434:
Attribute 'border-right-style' outside of element.
  file:/c:/Program%20Files/fop/docbook/fo/formal.xsl: line 435:
Attribute 'border-top-style' outside of element.
  file:/c:/Program%20Files/fop/docbook/fo/formal.xsl: line 436:
Attribute 'border-bottom-style' outside of element.
ERROR:  'Syntax error in '* or $generate.index != 0'.'
FATAL ERROR:  'Could not compile stylesheet'
Exception
javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException: Could not compile
stylesheet

Problem is in the XSL file of DocBook XLS 1.69.1 sheets:
docbook/fo/autotoc.xsl

I got a small question regarding Batik:
Does Batik SVG rendering produce PostScript code when embedding SVG file
into PDF or raster ?????

Regards,
--
Adam Strzelecki |: nanoant.com :|