From Simon Pepping <spepp...@leverkruid.nl>
Subject block content in inline content
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:13:37 GMT
I have tried to removed the double-list return type (a list of
KnuthSequences) of InlineLevelLM.getNextKnuthElements. I have
abandoned those efforts.

If the return type is only a single list, the call stack has to return
to LineLM.getNextKnuthElements for every completed paragraph and every
sequence of block elements. This is certainly possible, and was the
case in the past. It is true that most paragraphs consist of only one
Knuth paragraph, and do not contain block content. For those
paragraphs a single list return type would be efficient.

It would require look-ahead: Can the next sequence of Knuth elements
be appended to this one? And caching the sequence if not. Probably not
a big deal.

Nevertheless, I do not feel inspired to code this only for sake of the
return type.

Having an inherited method with a list with different types of content
elements will be a problem when we would ever use type-safe
collections. I would prefer to tackle this by defining a return type
KnuthSequences, which would be able to hold a single KnuthSequence or
a list of KnuthSequences, with logic to handle both cases
transparently for its clients.

I thought you may wish to know these considerations.

Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl