From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: 4.3.2 Overconstrained space-specifiers
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:00:47 GMT
Thanks, Luca. It does make sense but I'm having trouble mapping your
interpretation to what is written in the spec. I wonder: Do you agree
with me that my second example wouldn't be affected by the rules
described in 4.3.2?

Anyway, I think I'm going to let this rest and instead concentrate on
detecting overflow situations. After all, this stuff here seems pretty
exotic.

On 09.12.2005 14:40:01 Luca Furini wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > You will have seen that I've been working on overconstrained documents.
> > 5.3.4 Overconstrained Geometry is more or less implemented, so now I
> > need to have a look at 4.3.2 which proves quite difficult to understand.
> > At least I can't make much sense of it ATM.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > If anyone has an idea what rule 4 in 4.3.1 or the section 4.3.2 is about
> > I'd love to read your thoughts. Otherwise, I will run this through the
> > XSL editors list.
>
> I always thought (probably wrongly) these sections of the spec refer to
> the page regions, maybe because of the property display-align, and more as
> a way to "formally justify" what is usually done than as prescribing some
> particular behaviour.
>
> To be more clear (I hope :-)): region viewports usually have a well-known
> height (unless there is only a single page whose height is unbounded);
> their area children don't always fill them completely.  The content areas
> are placed at the top / center / bottom of the viewport according to the
> value of display-align: but, as these extra spaces may be in contrast with
> the space properties of the first and last child areas, we need, from a
> formal point of view, a rule saying that we are allowed to do this,
> otherwise the specs would be inconsistent.
>
> In other words, I always read these rules as: "spaces added ad the top /
> bottom of a page to implement display-align have greater precedence than
> space-before or space-after traits of the child areas". According to me,
> rule 4 should state something like this: "the maximum value of the
> space-specifier is set to the difference between the containing height and
> the content height".
>
> Don't know if this makes any sense ...
>
> Regards
>      Luca