From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: ToUnicode table for CID embedded fonts patch available
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 12:58:39 GMT

On 02.12.2005 13:39:53 Adam Strzelecki wrote:
> Hello Jeremias,
>
> > Vincent Hennebert is already working with the FOray project to integrate
> > its font subsystem with FOP so we will have ToUnicode CMaps. It's nice
> > that you share your patch with everyone but it won't be applied to the
> > old, frozen maintenance branch anymore.
> Okay I can understand that. At last if somebody needs that, it can be
> compiled anytime.
>
> > Anyway, I'd rather you shared with us the details of your experience
> > with 0.90alpha1 because that's where the fun is. If we knew what the
> > problems with the DocBook stylesheets are, then we could fix them and
> > let you migrate.
> Alright... so those are the annoyances that makes me stay with 0.20:
>
> 1) Fox extensions doesn't work, so I cannot generate PDF with Table of
> Contents tree anymore:
>
> javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:
> file:/D:/Work/Digitech/IWS%209.x%20redesign/IWS-redesign.fo:2:24687:
> Error(2/24687): No element mapping definition found for fox:outline
> Exception javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:
> org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException:
> file:/D:/Work/Digitech/IWS%209.x%20redesign/IWS-redesign.fo:2:24687:
> Error(2/24687): No element mapping definition found for fox:outline

I think something is in the works to support the XSL 1.1 Working Draft
exquivalent (fo:bookmarks) of fox:outline in DocBook. See:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=373750&aid=1357947&group_id=21935
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.90/upgrading.html

> 2) FOP 0.90alpha1 misinterprets comma separated font family name list in
> family-name tags at FO, which should be interpreted as kind of priority
> list when font is found of not. I know this is broken also in 0.20.5, so
> 0.20.5 will look just for Garamond and if not found it will be dropped
> to default one... but 0.90alpha1 is looking for
> "Garamond,Symbol,ZapfDingbats" which is total misbehavior:
>
> Font 'Garamond,Symbol,ZapfDingbats,normal,400' not found. Substituting
> with default font.
> Font 'Garamond,Symbol,ZapfDingbats,normal,700' not found. Substituting
> with default font.
> Font 'Garamond,Symbol,ZapfDingbats,italic,400' not found. Substituting
> with default font.
> javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Some content could not fit
> into a line/page after 50 attempts. Giving up to avoid an endless loop.
> Exception
> javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.lang.RuntimeException:
> Some content could not fit into a line/page after 50 attempts. Giving up
> to avoi
> d an endless loop.
>
> Anyway 0.90 font embedding is totally broken since... I got some errors
> like cannot open Garamond,Bold in generated PDF-s.
>
> So I'm waiting for FOray font subsystem in FOP.

Well, it should be easy to at least let the new FOP behave like the old.
I'll look into it.

> 3) Last thing I would really appreciate is I would love to generate PDF
> directly from XML files using stylesheets but FOP XSLT routine is
> somehow broken so I need to do the conversion with XSLTPROC which does
> it without the problem.
>
> This is the error when I use FOP with:
> fop -xml myfile.xml -xsl docbook/fo/docbook.xsl -pdf myfile.pdf
>
> Compiler warnings:
>   file:/c:/Program%20Files/fop/docbook/fo/formal.xsl: line 433:
> Attribute 'border-left-style' outside of element.
>   file:/c:/Program%20Files/fop/docbook/fo/formal.xsl: line 434:
> Attribute 'border-right-style' outside of element.
>   file:/c:/Program%20Files/fop/docbook/fo/formal.xsl: line 435:
> Attribute 'border-top-style' outside of element.
>   file:/c:/Program%20Files/fop/docbook/fo/formal.xsl: line 436:
> Attribute 'border-bottom-style' outside of element.
> ERROR:  'Syntax error in '* or $generate.index != 0'.'
> FATAL ERROR:  'Could not compile stylesheet'
> Exception
> javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException: Could not compile
> stylesheet
>
> Problem is in the XSL file of DocBook XLS 1.69.1 sheets:
> docbook/fo/autotoc.xsl

Sounds more like a problem in either the stylesheet itself or in Xalan
which FOP calls for doing XSLT. Maybe I should finally install DocBook
on my machine. :-)

> I got a small question regarding Batik:
> Does Batik SVG rendering produce PostScript code when embedding SVG file
> into PDF or raster ?????

It does not create PostScript code, it creates PDF commands to paint
everything as vector graphics, or at least that applies to most of the
SVG features. Some feature like filters may cause parts of the image to
be rastered by Batik.

Jeremias Maerki