From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Foray's font subsystem for Fop
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:35:37 GMT
Hi All,

   Just to throw in my 2 cents.   Batik "Handles" this through the
@font-face CSS property.  This allows you to provide a mapping
from a CSS font-family (with weight etc) to a font file on disk/network
etc:

     @font-face { font-family: "CSS Batik SVGFont";
                  src: url(batikFont.svg#Batik); }

Peter B. West wrote:
> J.Pietschmann wrote:
>
>> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, but this assumes that you work in concert with AWT's font subsystem.
>>
>> Well, AWT doesn't provide a way to get the file for a font, but
>> we can at least get an AWT Font from a TTF file.
>
> And a Type1 file (Java 5).  Java just keeps getting better.

    This is _very_ interesting.  Do you have a reference on this?
Illustrator has a bad habit of embedding CEF (CFF?) fonts in
SVG - these are Type1 font outlines in a TrueType/OpenType wrapper
If the JDK supports Type1 fonts it might support these now as well
(hoping ;).