From Glen Mazza <gma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Foray's font subsystem for Fop
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2005 03:29:08 GMT
Victor Mote wrote:

> Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>

>>I'm considering to adapt Foray's font subsystem to Fop. I
>>have already experimented a bit and the thing seems to be
>>rather feasible. So far I have encountered two problems:
>

> First, thanks for your interest, and welcome to FOP. Even though I am not an
> active FOP developer anymore, I'm glad to see it making progress. And I
> agree that integrating FOrayFont with FOP should be quite feasible.

Speaking for myself, I really don't want Victor's code in 1.0.  I don't
like his personality, and have not been a fan of his architectural ideas
much either--especially his emphasis on placing the 0.20.5 layout code
into 1.0 via "multiple layout strategies".

I would not relish a return to these past arguments--1.0 is clean and
clear of the 0.20.5 layout sludge, nobody has to wade through that stuff
to help out on 1.0, and I am quite happy with the progress being made on
1.0 because of it.

> I will be very happy to assist you in any way possible, short of writing FOP
> code.

Licensing is another headache, Victor would probably need to donate the
code first to Apache before we could use it.

It seems, Vincent, that you have inadvertently chosen a very unfortunate
way to re-introduce yourself to this project.  (Not your fault--you
didn't know.)  However, if others on the project do not mind working
with Victor, and if he donates the code to FOP, I guess I could refrain
from futher comment on it.  I will not touch the code personally,
however, lest I have to interact with its author.

Glen